Thursday, May 25, 2017

Our Little Cabin in the Woods-Part One

I hope you haven't been holding your breath waiting for us to finish the cabin!  Like most everything we try to tackle these days, it has taken about three times as long as it should have...and we're still not totally finished, but I'm going to share it anyway, because we're just sooo close to being finished, and I can't wait any longer!

When we purchased the land next door, this structure was already there.  The 16' x 24' building was built on sight.  It has a front porch and a gambrel style roof which allows space for two sleeping lofts inside, one in front and the other in the back.  It was covered in white vinyl siding on the sides and back, but had cedar on the exterior of the front wall, inside the porch.  The inside was unfinished, but had a small wood stove and a window unit air conditioner in the wall.

What We Did...

On the exterior, we removed the vinyl siding (I forgot to take a "before" pic with the vinyl siding.) but here's what it looked like after it was taken down.  See the door leaning up against the back wall?  We added that so that we would have a back entry.  We also removed the window unit air conditioner that was in the can see where the hole was filled in.

New back door with awning...

Front porch area is now trimmed in cedar to match the front cedar wall.

Color scheme that we chose to use is the same as what we used on our house last spring...more about that in the next blog post.

We needed to add new air conditioning, as we had removed the old window unit, so we went with a ductless system by Samsung, and we love it!  It works by remote control, and keeps the place at a constant temperature, even automatically switching from a/c to heat, when needed.   It's also energy efficient.  (Samsung did not give us anything for mentioning this product.)

We also needed to connect it to the septic tank so that we could add a bathroom. That required ditch-digging.  

We removed the ceiling fan. (I borrowed this picture from Hope Contracting's Facebook page...Hope Contracting did most of the work for us.)

Insulation went up.

...then the metal ceiling!  I was so excited about using corrulated metal on the inside, and I do love it as much as I thought I would!  Oh, and see the black wall up on the end of the loft?  That's chalkboard paint!  Just imagine camping out and playing tic-tac-toe up there while you're supposed to be sleeping!  I plan to add some funky picture frames to the wall so that kids can create their own wall art within the frames...

And, here's my sweet hubby hanging the funky green chandelier!

That's all I'll share today...this post is taking me three times as long as it should, too!  I only have about a thousand pictures to look through after four months of working on the place!  

Be watching for part two where I'll share the bathroom and some more interior work real soon.

If you've found yourself here by following a link, I would love to have you follow me on Instagram and Facebook!  Links here:  Instagram  Facebook


  1. Looks awesome! I'm not sure what y'all are planning on using it for, but I'm positive it's going to be FABULOUS!

    1. Hi Hope! It's the first of several (to be built in the near future) that we'll rent out. We will let visiting family stay there from time to time, and I use it as a "hospitality lounge" for my Down in the Delta vendors during markets. You'll have to come visit one of these days and I'll give you a tour! Thanks for the sweet comment!