Friday, May 27, 2016

Where Did May Go?

Hi friends!  I can not believe May is almost gone!  We've been so busy around Pimperl Place getting things all spruced up, that the entire month has just about completely slipped away.  

I have been trying to get my outdoor work done early in the morning while it's cool... it's too hot for this old girl to work much after around 10:00, as this Deep South heat and humidity is already bad. I'm usually ready for a break by then anyway, so I come inside, put on the crown and recline on the chaise...I WISH...I actually do inside non-glamorous work, and then go back out in the evening to work some more if the mosquitoes aren't too bad.  



I've planted lots and lots of pretty flowers, some perennials and some annuals.  I just went with what looked pretty and what seemed like it would do well in certain spots around the house.  I avoided those varieties that I've already killed in the past...hubby is wondering why I'm even trying anything at this point.  I'm sort of known for my brown thumb.  I think the problem is that I just get busy running around doing other things (yard sales, estate sales, etc.) and forget that the poor green things in the yard need water and food, and before I know it, they're beyond being helped by anything.  I have good intentions.  I buy the Miracle Grow, hoping that it really will provide miracles, and then I don't use it. Well, maybe I use it when I first bring it home, but then it goes on a shelf and, well, the pages of the calendar have turned....and my poor flowers are hungry.  I'm just a bad plant mother. Maybe knowing that I am having the market here in October (and probably next spring) will make me do better in that department.  I mean, a crisp brown garden full of naked stems will not be pretty, now will it?  Yes, I promise, this time will be different...






We are still working on the firewood.  Hubby finished the new firewood shed, so this long holiday weekend will be spent splitting and stacking the wood.  It will be so nice to sit on the porch with my cup of coffee and look out across the yard at a supply of firewood all neatly stacked and ready for the cold weather, something we haven't had for a couple of years. Hubby and I used to do all of our firewood every spring, but somewhere along the way the last few years, that didn't happen, so we just paid Alabama Power a lot more $$$ during the winters.  We did fine, but it's just so nice to have that warm, cozy fire going.  So, that's one project that we should complete this weekend...

Here's a pic of the shed when he started it.  I don't yet have a pic of the finished project...stay tuned.  I'd rather show it full of firewood anyway!


Our son helped me (Or maybe it was me helping him!) move the wood from all around the house to one spot over by the wood shed project.




We are picking up a pallet of flagstone today, too.  I've decided on a flagstone path to the front door.  I pulled up the old sidewalk, so now it's pretty awful looking, but I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted this time.  After much consideration, I decided that I love my back flagstone patio so much that I should just carry that look to the front yard too.  We are also enlarging the backyard patio space.  That's a project that will be ongoing over the weekend as well.  

Here's our flagstone...



Once all of the flower beds and "hard-scaping" projects are finished, I will let a landscaper come in and do the sod.  Then, I will be able to share wide angle pics of the entire place!  

Oh, we did have one casualty during the tree removal project.  My pretty little white picket fence at the side of the house, outside my kitchen door....A small, springy tree, popped back onto the fence when hubby was moving it with the tractor and it wiped out a section of the fence.  And it had just been painted!!  I tried not to get too upset with him, but, well....it's not pretty anymore.  He was just as upset as I was.  He said his first thought was, "just another thing to add to the list of what I have to do"......Anyway, once it's fixed, nobody will even know it happened, except that I just told you, so now you'll know.  And, I'm not going to post a pic of that, because it's just really not pretty...

For first looks at everything as it happens, follow me on Instagram at downinthedeltavintage market.

Thanks for dropping by, and I hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend! While you're enjoying the sunshine, don't forget to be thankful for those who gave all so that we could be free.  




7 comments:

  1. It all looks wonderful Judy! I have the same problem as you when it comes to flowers. I'm a terrible waterer. I start with good intentions, but if it wasn't for hubby, my plants would be all brown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why can't we make ourselves do better Lorraine? lol Thank goodness for good hubbies...yes, mine watered my poor plants last weekend when I needed to go running off too.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so pretty; I love the flagstone. I am the same way with flowers. I have my first garden this year and the watering thing is driving me crazy. I either drown them or thirst them, never a happy medium! Looks like you live out in the country. I am missing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to see that I'm not alone!
      I do live in the country on 64 acres. It's enjoyable, especially at night when the frogs start singing their songs (or whatever it is they're doing!) and the fireflies...Hope you can come to the market and I'll show you around!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Talk about some major projects! You are wearing me out! Be extra careful of those pesky mosquitoes this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are big projects, Leslie Anne...and they're wearing me out, too! As much as I hate it, I'm using Deep Woods Off these days. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete